Sunday 26 July 2009

The New Girl

So last Monday The Un-Working Girl started her new job and I'm pleased to report it went very well!

Mr G told me they would "all think I was a loser" for taking in a packet of biscuits for them all on my first day but thankfully they are all biscuit lovers and I won them over straight away!

For the sake of confidentiality and professionalism (now that I've got a job I definitely don't want to bloody lose it!), I'm not going to say too much about the company or what I'm doing but I will tell you how it's all going.

My new office is out in Tavistock and on my way there on Monday I drove past three sheep idly strolling along the pavement in one of the nearby villages. On my lunchbreak I walked to the local park and ate my sandwiches whilst watching the ducks swim by. They did also sense a food opportunity and tried to ambush me, but I don't want to spoil the idyllic picture I'm trying to paint!

I've come from a huge workplace that is very regimented. The type of place where you're not allowed mobile phones on because they "interfere with the computers", and heaven forbid you should have a drink on your desk without a sports cap on it, for fear of it spontaneously combusting all over the equipment.

Actually, in my 6 years I was once called to the scene of a Dr Pepper spillage, committed by two members of my team, but in this instance the perpetrators had been using a sports cap.

One of them had dropped the bottle on the floor so picked it up and left it to stand on the desk next to him. The other had not realised and gone to take a sip of it, pushed up the cap and the resulting explosion left everyone and everything within a 2 row radius dripping with fizzy pop.

By the time I got there, the last few droplets were plopping down from the Hiroshima shaped crater in the ceiling, and for fear of being sacked, slevees were frantically being used to wipe down computer screens and faces. I quickly blurted something out about being more sensible in future before walking away in absolute hysterics.

So you can imagine my delight at starting work in an office of 7 people, where the radio is on all day and cups of tea are routinely brought to you at your desk. One of the admin girls turns 21 tomorrow so on Thursday we had the most gigantic chocolate cake and bucks fizz to celebrate, and on Friday we were allowed to go home early.

So needless to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first week and can't wait to go back tomorrow. I'm conscious of the fact I've only been there a few days so don't want to speak to soon but everyone has been so welcoming and I really hope I'm going to be happy there.

No comments:

Post a Comment