Thursday 24 June 2010

Pia-Pia-Piano Piano Piano

I quite often pass the time on the bus reading the latest headlines on the Sky News app on my iPhone, and this week I came across this story about an artist who wanted to provide a catalyst to get people communicating with one another after realising that life in a big city can be really anonymous even when you bump into the same people all the time.

He plonked 60 pianos around the streets of New York City with "Play Me" on them, so anyone can have a little tinkle of the ivories or a sing-song or even just sit down and listen to someone else playing.

I think this is such a lovely story and I can't help but wish there were a few pianos scattered around Plymouth to encourage a mass rendition of Hey Jude on the Hoe or something. Mr G's cousin lives in Brooklyn and I sent her a message last night asking whether she had seen any of the pianos. She said she hadn't yet but promised to take a photo for me if she came across one. 

Less than 24 hours later she had posted this picture from Times Square on her Facebook. The wonders of modern technology!


1 comment:

  1. I love that you are sooooo like me Emily. These are the types of story that catch my eye and often lead to me shedding a tear as i am reminded that there is still beauty in the world! How lame!!!

    ReplyDelete